|IEEE 7000-2021 Standard Access Options
|View for Free in the
IEEE Reading Room
IEEE 7000 Standard
A Vision for Values
Value-based Engineering (VbE) is at the heart of IEEE 7000-2021 and provides companies with a highly practical approach to master the value-based challenges of their digital transformation. The VbE methodology provides a broader lens to consider potential value harms associated with product or systems design. VbE can lead to fewer project risks while increasing exponential innovation to provide a massive improvement relative to current technical roadmap processes.
IEEE 7000-2021 standard provides:
- a system engineering standard approach integrating human and social values into traditional systems engineering and design.
- processes for engineers to translate stakeholder values and ethical considerations into system requirements and design practices.
- a systematic, transparent, and traceable approach to address ethically- oriented regulatory obligations in the design of autonomous intelligent systems.
- large, medium, and small businesses dedicated to including broader ethical value criteria and concerns while designing, developing or operating AI or other technical systems. This includes systems, software or automation engineers, and CIOs, as well as platform, service, app, or product marketing professionals.
- innovating organizations engaged in concept exploration, system requirements definition, or development of new or revised products or services. The standard can help organizations to build products with a more refined and nuanced value proposition and with less risk.